Coronavirus Preventive Measures
St. Ignatius Church, Kojimachi, Tokyo
St. Ignatius Church, in accordance with the new directives given by the governor of Tokyo(dated March 25), has decided on the following measures.
All Masses and activities will remain cancelled until April 12(Sun). People with special health issues and elderly people(above 80) in particular are requested to refrain from coming to the church.
- All chapels(including the main church) will be closed from March 28(Sat) till April 12(Sun). All are requested to pray at home.
- Weddings and funerals are allowed with minimum number of attendees.
- There will be no public services during the Holy Week. Please spend the Holy Week at your home prayerfully and meditatively. You may watch the live-streaming of the Holy Week services by Pope Francis or Arch Bishop Kikuchi.
- All group activates and ceremonies(Baptism, Conversion, First Communion etc.) are requested to be rescheduled after April 12(Sun)
- This announcement is of March 26(Thu). We will keep you updated as and when the situation changes.
- Pope Francis will hold a Benediction service(Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament) which will be live-streamed on March 28(Sat) at 2 am(Japanese time). Those who recite the necessary prayers will obtain a plenary indulgence.
The situation has made it impossible for us to hold the most important Holy Week services. let us pray together in these difficult times, holding our hearts close to the passion of Jesus on the Cross and with the hope for the day when we can truly rejoice in the resurrection of Christ.
March 27(Thu), 2020 Fr.Hanafusa Ryuichiro SJ